Monday, July 25, 2016

news from St Michaels

I'm currently on the slowest computer of my life... so, this is going to be exciting! I hope I'm able to get everything in.  Oh wow, and now I'm figuring out that I left my email list in the trailer!  Bah!  This is going to be super scattered now.

Well, I'm officially serving in St. Michael's now.  And it's been so good.  It's nice being on the reservation again.  It feels normal, until we go to sacrament meeting on Sunday.  I think there was a grand total of **maybe** 30 people there on Sunday.  I thought Gallup was kinda small in number... they're huge now in my mind!  I think I'm going to go into shock when I get back to Utah.  There's gonna be way too many people.  

So, I'm now with Sister Porter.  She's from Pleasant Grove, UT, and is possibly in the same stake as Grandma and Grandpa Cardon.  If not, then she's in Jeff and Rebecca's stake.  We tried to figure it out, but couldn't.  But it's nice being able to talk about Utah things and have her follow along 100%.  And both of her parents are cosmetologists!  So we can talk hair as well :)  She's so great.  She's been out for 5 months now, and we're working well together so far.

It rained a LOT this past week!  There's actually green out here!!! And we have grass outside of our trailer!!!!!!!!!!  I haven't had grass where I've lived the entire mission.  It's so weird, but so great.  But one day it was just pouring down buckets.  And so Sister Porter asked me if it was kosher to go out and run in the rain... I didn't see why not, so we did!  We froliced around the parking lot to the church (cause our trailer is directly behind the church) and enjoyed ourselves.  Sister Porter more than me, cause it turned into hail partway through, but it was still fun.  It's looking like she's gonna get the fun side out of me once again.  I'm looking forward to it.  

Final goodbyes were hard in Gallup.  Monday/Tuesday we saw Marie Williams - a returning less active - and it was the saddest thing ever.  Man.  I asked her to say the closing prayer in Navajo one last time and she started crying during it.  All I understood was aheehee (thank you) and Sister Cardon throughout the entire thing, but the feeling of love was so strong during our visit.  I'm gonna miss her so much.  And then Deb's goodbye.  It was hard, but still enjoyable too. She invited us over for chocolate pudding Monday night and then we took lots of pictures.  It was good :)

Unpacking... it's not even fair how long it takes to pack, and then you can unpack in minutes.  I was pretty much done unpacking in 2 meal hours.  Dumb.

Miracle of the week - On Friday night we got 4 new investigators and all 4 were put on date for baptism!!! :D  We were teaching our lesson, and then Brandon (the older member brother) turns to one of the kids and says "didn't you want to ask the Sisters something?" and then the little boy says "yeah, can I be baptized?"  Then the 3 other boys say "yeah, I want to be baptized to!"  ... It was the craziest thing ever.  I was shocked.  But I won't complain!  We're excited to work with them :)  we got a total of 7 new investigators this week!  Now we just need to keep moving forward.  The work is definitely coming along.  I'm so excited to keep trying my best out here.

Oh!  And I totally got to use my broadway knowledge in a door approach the other day!  We asked the guy if he had read the Book of Mormon before and he said he had seen the musical.  I got super excited just in the fact that he liked broadway.  We told him the book is always better than the musical, and he accepted a copy of the Book of Mormon!  I loved geeking out over theater for a quick minute.

...That's all I can think of for now... Sorry, there was probably something more that I'm forgetting.  Like the fun fact that our neighbors are the Elders.  That's weird.  Even weirder that Elder Larsen, one of my first Zone Leaders, is one of them and he'll be finishing out his mission here.  Mission life is strange.  Maybe those who read that won't think it sounds strange, but I feel like it is.  I'm in such a bubble right now... :\

Well, I love you all and hope you're doing well!!!!
Love,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment